Sioux Falls Trivia
Sioux Falls History Trivia
The election was held on April 3, 1883, and Jacob Schaetzel Jr. was elected the first Mayor of the City. He served the community until 1885.
Western Town Company of Dubuque, Iowa
Figures prior to 1880 are taken from historical sources:
1856 — 5
1857 — 17
1858 — 35
1860 — 40
1873 — 593
In 1910, the first airplane appeared at the racetrack in Coates fairgrounds.
The zoo began in 1963. The Brockhouse family, who had displayed some animals at West Sioux Hardware, developed the collection.
1971—clearance occurred for the location of the new public library and parking area.
Shrivers first moved into the Western Mall in 1979 and later into the New Town Mall. It closed business in 1986.
Made of beautiful quartzite stone, the Fire Station was built in 1912.
Thanks to R. F. Pettigrew, the Populist party held its convention in Sioux Falls to nominate William Jennings Bryan as a presidential candidate.
In 1910, he donated 52 acres to the City of Sioux Falls for the establishment of a park. Later, he became chairman of the first Park Board.
In 1903, a library was built at Tenth Street and Dakota Avenue with a $30,000 total gift from the Carnegie corporations.
Mayor George W. Burnside
The Sioux Falls Coliseum was constructed in 1917 and an annex was added in 1932.
The Milwaukee Railroad’s “Arrow” passenger train left Sioux Falls for the last time in 1965.
In 1934, Drake Springs opened. The Army and Air Force (in cooperation with the Park Department) constructed the second pool in Terrace Park in 1943.
In 1927, the City built a sewage treatment plant for its citizens. River dumping was then prohibited.
Overlooking downtown, the first church was built at the northeast corner of Eighth and Dakota. Now the public library occupies that area.
Albert Hotel on southwest corner of Sixth Street and Phillips Avenue.
Soo Hotel on southwest corner of Sixth Street and Main Avenue.
Illinois Central Railroad Depot on East Eighth Street east of river.
Kuehn Warehouse on northwest corner of Sixth Street and Phillips Avenue.
In 1917, the City purchased from the Phillips sisters a large portion of Covell Lake and adjoining land. Subsequent purchases occurred in 1926, 1927, and 1929 from Larson and Fernyhough.
This three-story structure located at Ninth Street and Phillips Avenue was completely destroyed on June 30, 1900.
In August 1900, the City Council passed Ordinance No. 261 to provide full-time fire protection for Sioux Falls.
Richard F. Pettigrew
In 1888, Phillips Avenue from 5th to 12th Street was paved with quartzite blocks.
Hours of Operation
M-F: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.