Planning & Building Services
Sioux Falls is a community of pedestrians, bicyclists, transit users, and motorists. Stay safe by knowing the rules of the road, no matter what form of transportation you use.
“Shape Places” is a context-based zoning ordinance adopted by a vote of the people on April 8, 2014. These regulations have been based upon the Shape Sioux Falls 2035 Comprehensive Plan Adopted in 2009 by the Sioux Falls City Council.
Shape Sioux Falls 2035
Why Shape Sioux Falls 2035? A Comprehensive Plan
- A comprehensive plan develops policies that will help guide future ordinances, budgets, and master plans.
- Last Comprehensive Plan had a horizon for 2015 (that is in 5 ½ years)
- A comprehensive plan guides future land development.
Sign Codes and Design Review Districts
Need information on outdoor or advertising signs? The links below will give you the information you need to know before you put up your signs...
Top 10 Wins
Top 10 Wins
Planning & Building Services created so many wins for the people of Sioux Falls in 2016, but we've narrowed it down to the Top 10 Wins to celebrate the achievements captured in our great city last year.
Contribute towards shaping Sioux Falls as a community of choice that is guided by innovative plans and policies, and land use requirements which are clearly defined and reasonable. Facilitate minimum life safety standards for building projects through a customer-service focused plan review, permitting and inspection function.
The Planning and Building Services Department is responsible for managing the orderly development of Sioux Falls and overseeing the protection of property along with ensuring public safety in building construction and maintenance.
- Shape Places
- Big Sioux River Floodplain Change Map
- Southwest Sioux Falls Floodplain Change Map
- Becoming a Building Contractor
- Building Permit FAQs
- Homeowner's Construction Guides & Reference
- Permit Statistics
- 2016 Sioux Falls Beautiful Awards Nomination Form
- Public Open House for Chief Building Services Official Ron Bell