Floodplain Management Program
The City of Sioux Falls has been a participating regular member in the National Flood Insurance Program since 1979. As a member, the city has adopted regulations in compliance with the National Flood Insurance Program to control development and activities in flood hazard areas.
Goal and Objective
- Reduce the risk of future flood damage
- Provide affordable flood insurance
- Review applications and issue permits.
- Interpret the boundaries of Flood Hazard Areas.
- Use best available data when Base Flood elevations are not provided.
- Determine substantial improvement/damage
- Interact in variance appeal processes
- Notify adjacent communities, the State, and the Administrator of Alteration or Relocation to the water course.
- Ensure Maintenance of Watercourse
- Conduct inspections
- Investigate complaints of Code Violations
- Coordinate Map Amendments and Appeals
- Maintain for Public inspection all flood permit records i.e. Amendments, Revisions, Fill, Certificates, Elevation
- Certificates and No-Rise Certificates
- Maintain Floodplain Maps and Flood Data
- Maintain and update the Floodplain Management Ordinance
- Prepare and submit biennial reports