The Narcotics Section of the Sioux Falls Police Department Detective Division is responsible for the investigation of cases involving the use, distribution, manufacture, and diversion of illegal drugs and controlled substances. This section also investigates reports of prostitution, gambling, arson, weapon, and liquor violations, along with other vice activity. The Narcotics Section is staffed with one Property Crimes/Narcotic Lieutenant, one Sergeant, and five Investigators.
The Narcotics Section is part of the Sioux Falls Area Drug Task Force. The Drug Task Force is dedicated to making our city safer by working to remove illegal narcotics activity from our community. This group is also part of the Midwest High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA).
Agencies in the Sioux Falls Area Drug Task Force include:
- Sioux Falls Police Department
- Minnehaha County Sheriff's Office
- South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI)
- South Dakota Air National Guard (crime analyst)
- United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF)
- Homeland Security Investigations (HIS)