Social Media Comment Policy
Sioux Falls' Social Media Disclaimer and Commenting Policy
The City of Sioux Falls shares news, information, images, and video with the public through its official websites and through external websites including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube in an effort to reach the growing mobile community. While these sites are intended to help get topical and timely information out to a wider audience, the information on these sites may become outdated, or may be incomplete due to the limited function of these sites. In many cases, links are provided from these sites to pages on our official websites with further details. If questions arise regarding items found on these sites, please reference our official websites for all official information.
Where allowed, comments by the public posted to these accounts are reviewed and, while they will not be edited by staff, may be deleted if found to be in violation of the policy points listed below:
- Comments should be limited to comments related to the posted topic. Social media accounts are not the proper place to express opinions or beliefs not directly related to that topic.
- The use of vulgar, offensive, threatening, or harassing language is prohibited.
- Personal attacks of any kind or offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, age, or religious group, gender, sexual orientation, or disability status are prohibited.
- Sioux Falls’ social media accounts are not open to comments promoting or opposing any person campaigning for election to a political office, ballot measure, or promotion or advertisement of a business or commercial transaction.
- Comments advocating illegal activity or violating copyrights or trademarks are prohibited.
Our Social Media pages are intended for, and open to, all citizens of Sioux Falls and beyond. Any user is free to visit and comment/interact with us. No users shall be intentionally blocked from, or deleted from, connections to these sites unless they are in violation of the policy points listed on this page. Additionally, we reserve the right to block or delete any user who:
- Uses a sexually explicit, vulgar, or otherwise offensive icon or “avatar” to represent themselves.
- Continually and habitually violates any or all of the comment policy points listed above.
Additionally, some social media sites will provide random or targeted advertisements on these pages which are not produced, nor controlled by the City of Sioux Falls. The products, services, and content of these advertisements is not determined by, nor endorsed by the City of Sioux Falls.
This comment policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time.
Please note that comments posted by the public on these sites may not reflect the opinions and/or position of the City of Sioux Falls, its government officials, or its employees.
Questions or concerns regarding Sioux Falls' social media accounts and this comment policy should be directed to the social media administrator by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.