Cliff Avenue and 85th Street Area Improvements
Project Update 2/21/2023
Commuter Route Information:
- In order to complete this project prior to the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year, the intersection of 85th Street and Cliff Avenue will be fully closed to through traffic for the duration of the project.
- 85th Street traffic will be detoured to 69th Street at Minnesota Avenue and Southeastern Avenue.
- Cliff Avenue traffic will be detoured to Minnesota Avenue at 69th Street and 271st Street (County Highway 106).
- Every effort will be made to minimize travel impacts to local residents throughout the duration of the project.
- Access to adjacent businesses and residences will be maintained to the greatest extent possible.
- Pavement removals
- Watermain installation
- Sanitary sewer installation
- Storm drainage improvements
- Geotextile Fabric Installation
- Concrete Paving
- Asphalt Paving
- Driveways, approaches, curb ramp, and sidewalk construction
- Street lighting installation
- Traffic signal installation
- Site restoration
August 18, 2023 (substantial completion)
October 13, 2023 (final completion)
This project consists of the complete reconstruction of the 85th Street and Cliff Avenue intersection. On 85th Street, the project extends from 750 feet west of Cliff Avenue to 150 feet east of Cliff Avenue. On Cliff Avenue, the project begins approximately 1975 feet south of 85th Street and extends approximately 430 feet north of 85th Street. Work will include installation of 20” PVC water transmission main, storm sewer construction, and extending sanitary sewer across Cliff Avenue at the 90th Street intersection. The project will be paved with 9” PCC Pavement within the intersection and 7” of asphalt pavement at the tie-in connections. A center median and turn lanes will be added to the intersection. New sidewalk will be placed on the west side of Cliff Avenue and the north side of 85th Street. New street lights and landscaping features will be added to the center median and a new traffic signal will be added at the 85th Street and Cliff Avenue intersection. Several private utility companies will also be upgrading their facilities during the project.
City of Sioux Falls
DGR Engineering, Inc.
Scott LaVoy, PE
Black-Top Paving Company