Traffic/Ordinance Citation

So you received a traffic or other ordinance citation - now what?

If you don’t want to contest the violation, most citations can be paid prior to the court date listed on the citation without having to make a court appearance.  Payments should be made to the Minnehaha County Clerk of Courts.   In the alternative, you must appear in court on the date indicated on your citation and plead either “guilty” or “not guilty” to the violation.  If you plead “guilty” before the judge, you will be given an opportunity to make a statement and then the judge will immediately assess a fine.   If you decide to plead “not guilty”, you will be given dates for an optional dispositional conference and a court trial.  At the dispositional conference, you will have a chance to discuss your case with an assistant city attorney who prosecutes ordinance violations to see if your case can be resolved without going to trial.  If you’re unable to settle the case, the next step is a trial before a judge.   You will need to bring any witnesses or other evidence to support your case to this trial.  If you fail to appear at the trial, a warrant will be issued for your arrest.   Please note:  if you are a juvenile, you must have a parent or legal guardian with you at any of the court appearances referenced above.