I-229 Exit 5, 26th Street, Southeastern Avenue Reconstruction
- Pavement work has been completed on 26th Street west of I-229; the contractor is now installing sidewalk.
- The bridge crew completed the final concrete deck pour of the river bridge on 5/27/20.
- Concrete paving is being completed at both ends of the river bridge.
- The concrete retaining wall along 26th Street near Cleveland Avenue is nearing completion.
- Grading work has started along Southeastern Avenue north of 26th Street.
Commuter Route Information
- Traffic on 26th Street remains the same as throughout the winter with one lane of traffic in each direction.
- Traffic will be switched to the new Big Sioux River bridge in early June.
- Southeastern Avenue south of 26th Street will be opened to traffic at that time, also.
- Southeastern Avenue north of 26th Street is closed.
- Business access is from Cleveland Avenue.
2020 Project Milestones
- Begin construction of the bridge deck over the Big Sioux River
- Complete service road and connections onto Southeastern Ave to the south of 26th St
- Move traffic to the south side of 26th St
- Demolition of the north portion of the 26th St bridge over the Big Sioux River
- Construction of the piers
- Complete tie in work of the bridge over I-229
- Complete grading of 26th St near Rotary Park
- Utility installation on Southeastern Ave north of 26th St
- Construction of Southeastern Ave north of 26th St
- Open to traffic
March 6: Public Open House
26th & Cleveland
Completion Date: July 2021
Contract Amount: $38,000,000
This project will construct new on and off ramps from 26th St to I-229, realignment of Yeager Road and the construction of a new bridge over the Big Sioux River and the BNSF Railway. Installation of new watermain, sanitary and storm sewer, new street lights and traffic signals.
City of Sioux Falls