All Saints District

The All Saints Historic District

The largest and most diverse of the five historic districts in Sioux Falls, the All Saints National Register Historic District contains more than 240 properties. Of these, 27 are deemed exceptional landmarks, and another 124 are recognized for their strong architectural significance. The district adjoins the southern border of downtown. It is anchored by the landmark All Saints School building, an impressive Sioux quartzite structure.

While homes dating to the 1880s can be found in the All Saints District, most of development occurred after the turn of the century. The majority of existing buildings were constructed from 1900 to 1919. The many architectural styles found in the district range from Gothic and Queen Anne to Mediterranean, Tudor Revival, and bungalow.

Some of the city's most prominent early architects and builders lived in the district. Wallace Dow, Robert Perkins, John McWayne, and Henry Carlson are among the notable early developers of the district. Many local civic leaders influential in the early development of the city also resided in the All Saints District. Such locally recognizable names as Edwin Sherman, Artemus Gale, Eugene Coughran, Louis Caille, Winona Axtell Lyon, and Daniel Glidden are associated with the All Saints Historic District.

Coughran House (1887) All Saints School (1884) Thomas H. Brown Home (1907)

Coughran House
1887
1203 S. First Avenue

All Saints School
1884
111 West 17th Street

Thomas H. Brown Home
1907
1103 S. Phillips Avenue