Big Sioux River Greenway Cleanup Returns Saturday
The City of Sioux Falls and Friends of the Big Sioux River will host the eighth annual Big Sioux River Greenway Cleanup this Saturday, April 22, from 10 a.m. to 12 noon. The community-wide event brings together volunteers to help clear garbage and debris from the banks of the Big Sioux River and along the recreation trail.
“Over the years, cleanup volunteers have removed thousands of pounds of garbage from one of our most important resources, the Big Sioux River,” said Holly Meier, the City’s Sustainability Coordinator. “We look forward to hosting this event again and celebrating Earth Day with our community.”
Volunteers can arrive at one of the seven sign-in locations around the Big Sioux River greenway trail. Coordinators will be stationed at all seven locations to provide instructions, gloves, trash bags, and maps. Volunteers are required to sign waivers before participating.
The following locations have been selected as meeting areas:
- Falls Park Farmer’s Market Shelter—300 East Falls Park Drive
- Cherry Rock Park Shelter—1800 East 18th Street
- Pasley Park Shelter—2521 South Southeastern Avenue
- Yankton Trail Park—3901 South Minnesota Avenue
- Sertoma Park Shelter—4300 South Oxbow Avenue
- Legacy Park Canopy—7001 West 12th Street
- Elmwood Park Shelter—1401 North Kiwanis Avenue
Pre-event registration is not required but appreciated. Register for the event at siouxfalls.org/green.
Organizations helping with this year’s event include Americold, HDR, JLG Architects, Sanford Health, Smithfield, and SoDak 350.
For more information on the Big Sioux River Greenway Cleanup, please visit www.siouxfalls.org/green or contact Public Works at 605-367-8601.