Becoming an Electrical Journeyman

Journeyman electricians must hold a state and city license if working within the Sioux Falls city limits. To apply for a license with the State Electrical Commission, you can contact them at

To apply for a journeyman license with the City of Sioux Falls, you must have your state journeyman card (or higher license) in hand. City applications must be submitted with the appropriate license fee (see link 2B25004 on the right).

For more information, you may contact Building Services at:
*Licensing: 605-367-8672 or

*Electrical Inspectors: 605-367-8250

Electrical Contractors Journeyman & Apprentice FAQs

No, licenses must remain active by providing current bond (when required). Licenses also must be renewed every two years. If a license expires, it cannot be renewed after 12 months from expiration without re-examination, unless the Electrical Contractor has applied for and kept current his Inactive license.

Separate licenses are required for each field (building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical). There are examinations required for each field. Electrical and plumbing also require state licenses before applying for examination with the city.

Under no circumstances is an Electrical Contractor allowed to do any plumbing, mechanical or residential building work unless they also hold the appropriate, additionally required, licenses.

If you are receiving compensation for doing electrical work, even if part-time, you are required to hold a state and city Electrical Contractor’s or Class B license. All work must be inspected, and the inspections must be called in under an Electrical Contractor’s license.
If you are doing any electrical work in the city of Sioux Falls, you must also carry the City of Sioux Falls license.