Can’t afford home repairs? Help is available
The Safety and Home Repair Grant program provides financial help to low-or-moderate income households for home repairs. This short-term program has limited funding and will end on December 31, 2024, or when all of the funds have been obligated to homeowners.
This program has two main goals:
- To continue the City of Sioux Falls’ effort of helping homeowners maintain safe and healthy homes for them and their families.
- Offer help to households with needed sidewalk repairs.
Each household is eligible for a maximum $5,000 grant for qualifying health and safety repair projects.
How does this program work?
Review eligibility requirements
Property owners who request financial assistance will work with the City of Sioux Falls Housing Division to qualify. Eligibility requirements are listed below.
If approved, a housing specialist from the City will be available to walk you through the process of a home inspection and selecting a contractor.
- Property owners must allow a complete inspection of the property by a City of Sioux Falls Housing Specialist. A work write-up containing the description of the repairs to be financed by the program will be prepared by the City of Sioux Falls.
- Property owners will be responsible to solicit a minimum of two bids from area contractors. After soliciting bids, the homeowner will work with the Housing Division and select the contractor for the project (except sidewalk repairs only).
What kind of work is eligible?
- Repair or replacement of faulty plumbing, heating systems, electrical work, roofs, windows and doors, and stoops and stairs
- Necessary painting
- Insulation and winterization
- Handicapped accessibility
- Necessary sidewalk and concrete repairs
Who is eligible for help?
- For all home repair projects: A household’s gross income must not exceed 65 percent of the median family income. Your household’s gross income is the income of all household members from all sources (including child support) before taxes and withholding.
Check these income limits based on number people living in your household to see if you might qualify for the program:
Person(s) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Income* $37,538 $42,900 $48,263 $53,625 $57,915 $62,205 $66,495 $70,785
*Subject to change based on HUD guidelines
For sidewalk repairs only, you are eligible if either:
- A household’s income must be lower than 65 percent of the median family income
- A homeowner, spouse, or dependent is qualified for one of the programs below then you are eligible:
- Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Childcare Subsidies through the Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) Program
- National Housing Trust Funds (HTF) for affordable housing programs only
- Home Investment Partnerships Program (HOME), for affordable housing only
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Free and Reduced-Price Lunch (NSLP) and/or School Breakfast (SBP) programs
- Medicare Part D Low-income Subsidies
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Head Start and/or Early Head Start
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Pell Grants
- South Dakota Property Tax Freeze for Elderly and Disabled
- The property must be located within the city limits of Sioux Falls.
- For all home repair projects, including sidewalk repairs:
- Applicants must own the property and have the property’s deed in their name to be considered the owner. Applicants purchasing a property through a Contract for Deed are not eligible for assistance.
- For all other home repair projects, excluding sidewalks:
- Mortgage payments, taxes, and insurance on the property must be current.
- If any of the applicant’s assets have been assigned, transferred, or conveyed, the applicant will be ineligible to apply for assistance for a period of two years.
- Applicant's previous regard for financial obligations will be considered.
- The property must be structurally sound, but in need of repairs to make it safe and sanitary.
- Home Repair Assistance Application
Structures not eligible for repair program
- Mobile homes
- Rental and condo properties
- Properties to be repaired for resale