What We Do:
The Sustainability Program has many focus areas within the City of Sioux Falls. Each area works towards the goals that are established within the Sustainability Master Plan. To obtain these goals the Sustainability Program partners both internally and externally with City Departments and organizations. While some of the programs are offered to the public, other areas such as internal audits, internal committees, and recycling monitoring programs are conducted behind the scenes. This program also assists with grant applications and research as requested within the City of Sioux Falls. There are no tasks to large or small. If there is something that you would like the City to consider, click on the CONTACT US icon and we can discuss further.
- Education and outreach through Public Works Environmental Division's Leading Green Initiative
- Recycling reporting, regulation, and tracking programs for five county area of Sioux Falls
- Coordinate existing and implement new waste diversion programs in Sioux Falls
- Conduct Internal Sustainable Workplace Surveys for the City of Sioux Falls
- Research and implement new sustainability initiatives using the Leading Green initiative of the Environmental Division
A City where proven sustainable practices are implemented, concepts that reduce financial and environmental impacts are developed, and sustainable actions are fully integrated into the community.
Working together, we will promote a vibrant community through the innovative and wise use of our resources.
Put simply, sustainability is the ability to endure. Any time we work toward the preservation and betterment of our community, we are already practicing sustainability. More recently, communities around the world have begun to focus on social equity, economic vitality, and environmental consciousness as the three pillars of sustainability. When community leaders and citizens recognize the environmental, social, and economic impacts of their decisions, they can build a legacy that lasts the test of time.
The Native Prairie Project
The Native Prairie Project (NPP) aims to create spaces for native vegetation and intends to improve water and air quality, beautify the landscape, reduce erosion, and provide habitat for native wildlife.