Sioux Area Metro (SAM) offers the “Freedom Pass” to all school students during each summer. The program allows students to ride SAM fixed-route buses for free. To do so, the student must present the bus driver with the current year school ID or SAM-issued Freedom Pass when boarding.
The Freedom Pass program includes the following stipulations:
- The pass allows anyone 6 to 18 years of age to ride Sioux Area Metro (SAM) for free.
- Anyone ages 11 through 18 may ride unaccompanied by an adult.
- Anyone ages 6 through 10 must be accompanied by a regular paying adult.
- Anyone 5 years of age or younger is free to ride at any time and does not require a Freedom Pass, although they must be accompanied by a regular paying adult.
- To ride a SAM fixed-route bus for free, anyone ages 6 through 18 must present their current year school ID or SAM-issued Freedom Pass when boarding.
If a student is of elementary school age, does not have a school pass, or the school pass is lost, a special Freedom Pass must be secured through SAM offices located at 500 East Sixth Street. Identification and proof of age such as one of the following are required: a driver’s license, state ID card, or birth certificate.