Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. All events require insurance coverage in the amounts listed below. Insurance coverage must be maintained for the duration of the event.
The City of Sioux Falls must be named as an additional insured. City of Sioux Falls, 224 West Ninth Street, Sioux Falls, SD 57104. If the event is held within the downtown district, Downtown Sioux Falls Inc. must also be listed as an additional insured.
$1 million per occurrence.
$2 million general aggregate.
$1 million alcohol liability insurance required, if applicable.
Certificate must be submitted 30 days prior to the event. It can be emailed to email@example.com
A special one-day license approved by the City Council pursuant to SDCL 35 4 124 is required. Additional fees apply. Contact Licensing Office at least 4 to 6 weeks prior to the event.
If your event involves the sale or use of alcohol, you must provide a copy of your liquor liability insurance to the Park Office, two weeks in advance of the event.
To submit a Street Closure Permit please register to https://css.siouxfalls.org. You must review the Rules and Regulations for Street Closure. If you have additional questions please call City Engineering at 605-367-8601.
Sioux Falls City Council passed an ordinance in May 2017 regarding tobacco use on city property. Smoking is prohibited at Special Events unless the event planner designates a defined area, which would require approval from the Director of Parks and Recreation.
To establish a Smoking/Tobacco-free event, please refer to the Breathe Well Event Toolkit for Hosting Smoke/Tobacco-Free Events on City Property at www.siouxfalls.org/specialevents.
Approved special events in parks are smoke-free unless the event requests a designated smoking area, which is subject to approval from the Director of Parks and Recreation.
Requesting a designated smoking area, the event planner will be required to:
- Minimize public exposure to second hand smoke.
- Define smoking area; including a detailed map.
- Provide ample signage and perimeter markers.
- Responsible for providing high volume receptacles.
- Responsible for clean-up of the designated smoking area.
Event Classification Fee
|Class 1—10,000 or more||$500|
|Class 2—2,500 to 9,999
|Class 3—500 to 2,499
|Class 4—Under 500
|Shelter Reservation Fee (if applicable, per day)
|Band Shell Reservation Fee (if applicable, per day)
|Lighting the Falls (if applicable, per day)
• Colors offered are blue, red, green, pink, purple, yellow, and orange.
Showmobile Stage Reservation Fee (if applicable, per day)
• 40 feet x 16 feet, requires 110 volts within 40 feet of power source.
Bleacher Reservation Fee (if applicable, per day)
• 52 feet x 20 feet; seats approximately 300 people.
As you are planning an event in a City Park and considering food trucks (mobile food vendors), please ensure they are (annually, per calendar year) licensed to vend in the City of Sioux Falls. If they are not on the current list when requesting your event permits, they will NOT be allowed at your event.
If you do not see your vendor on the list currently, please encourage them to fill out their Mobile Food Vendor Application, which can be found at https://www.siouxfalls.org/police/peddler or call 605-367-7226 for more information.
You can find a list of current licensed food trucks here.
Point of Sale Permits are $50 per vendor, per day. Event Planners are responsible for requesting the permit for each of the vendors.
If you are catering an event in a park, please contact the Park Office for further details at 605-367-8222. (Mon-Fri; 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
A special event permit is not required for events that take place on private property. Depending on the nature of the event, various permits may be required including the following:
- If you will have food sales please contact the Health Department for a Health Permit at 605-367-8760.
- If you will have tents over 1,000 square feet, a Canopy/Tent Permit is required from the SF Fire Rescue at 605-367-8093.
- If you are using amplified sound you must adhere to the City’s noise ordinance regarding hours of amplified sound and sound decibel limitations. For a Sound Permit contact the Health Department at 605-367-8760.